- Post Raisin Bran goes from 2.50 to 3.00 per box at Walmart.
- My favorite yogurt goes from .50 to .58 each at Walmart.
- Cherry tomatoes go from 4.98 to 5.98 per package.
- Walnuts go from 9.98 to 13.98 per bag at Sam’s.
- Bottom round goes from 2.48 to 2.68 per pound at Sam’s.
What was once purchased for weekly meals at the supermarket for under $100, now exceeds $120. We have cut back on many items and we still pay more for our weekly food bill.
Econbrowser, however, tells us everything is coming up roses:
If the expectations hypothesis of the term structure (EHTS) holds, then these movements imply that as of 11/8, the average inflation rate over the next five years will be a breathtaking 1.6%!
Here is a free clue for Econbrowser: The tips market does not predict what the inflation rate will be. It predicts what the government will report the inflation rate to be – and indeed, the government is going to report near zero inflation during the next five years – because the government thinks you are stupid.